Sunday, February 1, 2015

Project 1 was interesting yet challenging for me. In this project, we were given a lot of freedom when it came to choosing our texts and sources and how to set up our argument. I wrote my paper on BeyoncĂ©’s song “***Flawless” which made this project more intriguing to me. It was fun being able to write about a popular song.

I liked reading the article about shitty first drafts. It made me feel better about writing a first draft just to get my ideas out on paper. Normally, I start writing a draft and try to perfect it or polish it. This time, it was easier and less stressful to write a shitty first draft and then go back to my paper and add in information or things I felt I was missing. . I struggled finding a secondary source and figuring out how to incorporate it into my paper. At first, I was unsure whether to find a source that supported my main argument or one that supported my text. After I found my secondary sources, the project came along much easier. I was able to support my argument and tie my paper together.

Overall, I liked this project. It forced me to make decisions about the prompt and purpose of the paper rather than having to follow a prompt exactly. I also liked that everyone wrote an original paper on a different text. I think project 1 was a success because it forced us to put our new knowledge of rhetoric to use, while giving us the freedom to be creative. I was happy with the outcome of this project, even though it was challenging to get there.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you chose a song for your piece. It is an interesting way to portray authoring! I also just really like Beyonce :) I agree with you that reading the article "Shitty First Draft" made me feel better about my first draft. It reminded me that all authors alike have difficulty writing.

    ReplyDelete